WELCOME BACK TO THE JERICHO WAVECHASER!
RACE #4 STARTS AT 7PM JUNE 24TH
We are excited to report that we have resumed the Jericho WaveChaser Race Series for the 2021 season.
The plan is to run the races every Thursday evening throughout the summer months.
For now we will continue to follow the protocols that were in place last year. See details below.
Looking forward to seeing everyone out on the water!
(registration link opens each Friday morning at 12:01 AM)
PROTOCOLS AND RACE OVERVIEW
The series will run EVERY THURSDAY from June 3 to Aug 26 2021 off the beaches at the Jericho Sailing Centre. The races are open to all level of paddlers in outrigger, SUP, surfski, prone, and kayak. Courses vary depending on conditions, each race night has a short and a long course. Check-in starts at 6 pm, race starts at 7 pm. This is our 7th season, and we’re growing each year! Your cooperation with the following protocols will help us ensure that we can keep running every week.
NO REGISTRATION ON SITE Pre-register only at Webscorer.com. Each week the link to the race registration will be posted here and on the Facebook page as of midnight (12:01 AM) on Friday.
RACERS MUST CHECK-IN ON SITE BEFORE THE RACE The check-in table will be set up outside the JSCA compound on the beach between the two easternmost launch ramps. When you arrive, you need to check-in, give the race directors your bib number and review the race course. It is critical for the safety crew to know how many racers are on the water. If you pre-register but don’t check-in, you will not be counted.
Race entry is $10 for non-members, and for Jericho Sailing Centre members it’s $5.
SAFETY MEETING AND POST-RACE ANNOUNCEMENTS ON THE BEACH There will be no gathering inside the sailing centre. Regardless of weather conditions we will be on the beach. Please practice social distancing measures when gathering for the announcements. All announcements will be done using the bullhorn so racers can spread out and still hear them. No official post-race social in the member’s lounge or Galley this year. Paddlers who want to socialize after the race are encouraged to do so informally on the beach. The Galley is open with limited seating on the patio only. If you choose to head upstairs for post race dinner/drinks please be mindful of their limited seating and don’t occupy the tables for longer than necessary.
SOCIAL DISTANCING MEASURES SHOULD BE FOLLOWED AT ALL TIMES both on and off the water. Spread out on the start line, don’t crowd each other at the turns, space yourself on the beach. Paddlers racing tandem craft should be from the same household or from within each other’s expanded social circle.
MASKS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES IN THE JSCA COMPOUND.
MEMBERS & GUESTS ENTERING THE JSCA COMPOUND MUST CHECK-IN AT JSCA FRONT GATE AND GIVE CONTACT INFO FOR CONTACT TRACING PURPOSES We encourage non-members to park at the far east end of the parking lot and walk your watercraft to the beach from outside the perimeter of the sailing centre and avoid entering the compound at all, no activities related to the race series will take place inside the compound.
SAFETY PLAN AS APPROVED BY JSCA
Jericho Wavechaser 2021 COVID-19 Safety Plan
- Registration is done online
- Registration is limited to 50 participants
- Cash is not handled on site by organizers.
- Cones placed on the beach at a minimum of 2m apart to keep competitors properly spaced before
- Check-in and start times are staggered to ensure that not all 50 participants are on the beach at once
- Competitors are instructed to leave the area directly upon finishing
- A second table at the check-in area will assure a minimum 2m separation of competitors and
- Surfaces will be cleaned before, during and after the event.
- Competitors and organizers must self-assess for COVD-19 symptoms before arriving on site. Those people who are unwell are required to stay home.
- Competitors have been instructed to keep physically distanced on the racecourse as part of the
registration process. Though with paddle sports separation of 2m is usually required to allow room for
the paddles to not interfere with each other.
- Organizers must follow the JSCA COVID-19 safety plan
- Masks are optional at this time.
- Multiple hand washing stations are located just inside the compound gates
- Check-in tables are to be cleaned and disinfected at the beginning and end of the event and as needed during the event.